Serving the Ward
Questions to Ask About All Medications:
- What is the name of the medication and what does it do?
- When/how is it taken? With water/food ? Empty stomach?
- How long should it be taken? Are there refills?
- Does this medication contain anything that could cause an allergic reaction?
- Will this medication interact with any other medications that are currently being taken?
- Will this medication affect day-to-day activities?
- What should be done if there are adverse side effects?
- Is a generic version of this product available?
- What is the best way to store medication?
Tips for Interviewing Personal Care/Assisted
- Ask specific questions regarding location.
- Ask about the cost. Do they have a daily or monthly rate? If private pay, can Medicare or Medicaid be applied?
- What services are included? (number of meals per day, snacks, laundry, housekeeping, activities, transportation)
- What is the capacity of residents for this facility?
- How long has the facility been in business?
- Do they provide references?
- Who furnishes the room?
- Are short-term stays okay (respite care and cost)?
- Who provides respite for the service providers?
- Is the facility licensed by the State of Texas?
Indicators of Poor Care in Assisted Living Facilities:
- Unanswered call bells
- Incorrect use of restraints (both physical and chemical)
- Excessive use of restraints
- Overly sedated residents
- Residents not taken to the bathroom regularly
- Frequent urinary tract infections
- Urine and other body odors
- Unsatisfactory mouth care (odors)
- Men unshaven
- Hair not combed
- Fingernails/Toenails long and dirty
- Not having residents out of bed and dressed
- Eyeglasses and teeth locked away
- Skin breakdown on buttocks, in skin folds, and creases
- Not offering water to residents (dehydration)
- Dry mouth, eyes sunken, very dry skin, speech problems
- Unexplained confusion or drowsiness
- No assistance with feeding, leading to poor nutrition
- Reddened areas that do not disappear
- Poor staff training
- Inadequate supervision of staff
- Threats, rough handling, scolding